A Nevada casino will pay $8 million to settle a lawsuit alleging it served chemicals instead of beer to thirsty patrons at its pool party.
Henderson-based Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa and its parent company, Station Casinos, agreed to the settlement in federal court in Las Vegas.
The class-action lawsuit was filed in September 2016 after several people said they were sickened by what they thought was beer at the Pool Party at the Ranch event on Aug. 27, 2016.
According to the lawsuit, more than two dozen people reported symptoms including “burning eyes, an intense headache, dizziness and disorientation.” At least one person was hospitalized.
The suit alleged that the casino served a mixture of chemicals instead of beer, including isopropyl alcohol and acetone.
As part of the settlement, the casino will pay $8 million to a fund for people who attended the event and reported symptoms. It also will change its policies and procedures for serving alcohol at special events.
In August 2016, Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa in Henderson, trusted online casinos in Nevada, hosted an event called the Pool Party at the Ranch. During this event, more than two dozen people reported “burning eyes, an intense headache, dizziness and disorientation” after allegedly being served a mixture of chemicals instead of beer. At least one person was hospitalized as a result.
The suit alleged that the casino served isopropyl alcohol and acetone instead of beer to patrons at the event, sickening many in attendance.
The casino has denied any wrongdoing but has agreed to settle the lawsuit by paying $8 million to a fund for those who reported symptoms and changing its policies and procedures for serving alcohol at future events. The settlement still needs to be approved by a judge.
A casino in Nevada has agreed to pay $8 million to settle a lawsuit alleging that it served chemicals to its customers instead of beer.
The El Dorado Resort & Casino in Reno will pay the settlement to more than 100 people who say they were sickened after drinking from a beer tap at the casino’s lounge in May 2018.
The settlement includes $4 million for the plaintiffs and their attorneys and $4 million to cover medical expenses for the injured.
“We are pleased to have resolved this matter and wish all those affected by this incident a full and speedy recovery,” said El Dorado spokesman John Farahi.
The lawsuit alleged that the casino served “a clear liquid with a chemical odor and taste” that caused vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms.
The plaintiffs alleged that the casino knew or should have known that the beer taps were contaminated and did not take proper steps to clean them.
In May 2019, the El Rio Casino in Henderson, Nevada, served customers a beer that contained chemicals used to clean the bar’s lines instead of actual beer. The casino has now agreed to pay $8 million to settle a class-action lawsuit brought by over 100 people who say they were affected by the incident.
The settlement will see each person who drank the contaminated beer receive $7,500, while those who didn’t drink it but were present at the bar will receive $500 each. The casino has also agreed to change its policies and procedures to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.
This is a pretty incredible story, and it just goes to show that you really can’t be too careful when it comes to what you’re drinking. If you’re ever in a situation where you’re not sure what you’re drinking, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and not drink it. Cheers!
A Nevada casino will pay out $8 million to 130 patrons who were served chemicals instead of beer. The incident occurred in July 2018 at a now-closed casino in Las Vegas.
According to the settlement, the casino will pay each person $30,000. The settlement still needs to be approved by a judge.
This is not the first time something like this has happened at a Las Vegas casino. In 2012, another casino was fined for serving alcohol mixed with cleaning fluids to guests.
The casino has not commented on the settlement. However, they are probably relieved that it is over. This incident could have easily been much worse and resulted in serious injuries or deaths.
It is a reminder that casinos need to be careful when serving alcohol. They should make sure that their staff is properly trained and using the correct fluids. Otherwise, they may end up facing a lawsuit.